Jim Thomas <tk0jut1@MVS.CSO.NIU.EDU>
Gato Con Jalapeno Salada
(from Chez jt)
- 1/3 cup croutons (of your favorite stripe)
- 1/2 LB butter/margarine
- lots of garlic
- 2 oz. parmesan cheese, thickly grated
- 5 anchovies
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard (or, ground mustard seed)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 LB stray gato (thoroughly washed and rinsed)
- 1 fresh, bright green jalapeno pepper
- Salt and freshly ground black & red peppercorns to taste
- 1/3 cup virgin olive oil
- 1 medium head (3/4 LB) romaine lettuce
(If desired, anchovies can be replaced with 1/2 pound of salmon, especially
grilled. Do not blend salmon -- sprinkle and mix it just before placing
croutons on salad.)
- Wash lettuce thoroughly, and set aside
- Mix butter, garlic, cheese, anchovies, mustard, jalapeno, oil, butter,
and egg in blender for about 10 seconds
- Layer lettuce leaves in large bowl (do not fold, spindle, or mutilate)
andspread mixed stuff over them
- Take freshly washed gato. Dry it, comb it, feed it some fresh salmon.
Then, place on soft pillow on floor by table.
- Salad, having sat for 10 minutes, should be placed on individual plates.
- With knife and fork, scarf down salad and pet El Gato as needed
- when done with salad, wash and dry plates.
- Remove cat from pillow and pet thoroughly
- Then, pet each other.
Cooking Hint -- Lettuce
Head lettuce should be firm, fresh, crisp, and heavy for size. Leaf
lettuce should be fresh and crisp. Leaves should be green and not
excessively dirty. Trim off all soiled leaves. Wash and store separately.
Wash head an hour or two before needed and return to hydrator or damp
cloth to crisp.
This page is maintained by Graham Toal <firstname.lastname@example.org>